Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Frutta e verdura d'inverno

Meeta at 'What's for lunch, honey' has launched a seasonal event called 'Eat fresh', aimed at getting to know better what's in season in every part of the world. Of course I love this idea! It's in perfect line with the spirit of my own 'Fresh Produce of the Month' event, except for the fact that thanks to Meeta now we'll have a list of produce in season all over the world collected in one place! Congratulations, Meeta, for this great initiative.
So here is my contribution - a snapshot of the fruits and vegetables that I buy more often in Berkeley in this season:
There are: squash (turban type), turnips, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, apples, oranges/mandarins, parsnips, beets (red and golden), potatoes, and peppers (this last is not really in season in my opinion, but in Berkeley you can find almost anything all the time. I buy it when it looks particularly good or it's a special).
I love all winter time produce. And there are so many varieties for each type! Squash comes in so many colors and shapes, as you may have noticed if you've read this blog recently, as well as cabbage, beets and cauliflower... One cannot be bored by them.

7 comments:

Nupur said...

What a beautiful picture! I am totally fascinated by that turban squash- never seen anything like it. I should try parsnips more- what do you make with them?

Katie Zeller said...

I also, love winter vegetables! One not only can't be bored, it can be a challenge to work them all in on a regular basis... A pumpkin or cabbage is a committment for 2 people!

Sihi said...

Beautiful pic! Love the veggies.

Sihi said...

Marta, You had asked me to let you know when I got around to post the savory version of polis. Thought I'd let you know that I have posted something very similar and closest to what you had requested.

chemcookit said...

Hello everybody and thanks for letting me know you liked the picture!

Nupur - ehm, to be honest, this was the first time I bought it this wintertime, and I used it (baked) for the bagna caoda (see below). I put part of it in a soup, too. It wasn't bad, but I must say, I like turnips better. :)

Katiez - yes, true. :) I still have some of the turban squash :)

Eskay - thanks! I just checked it out and it looks wonderful!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Gorgeous! I love how wonderfully colorful your fresh produce is! Lovely!

chemcookit said...

Dear Meeta,
a compliment on a picture from you is a great honor! thanks :)