Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Acquario di Monterey

Last Saturday Lucas, Sonya and I went to visit Monterey and Santa Cruz. I was particularly amazed by the visit of the aquarium in Monterey. It's huge, and everything is beautifully arranged in gigantic pools of water where fishes of all kinds swim around, and smaller ones where the beauty of the colors of the plants and other inhabitants of the ocean really touched me. I want to share a few pictures of these wonders here, and you can see more on my Picasa Web album.

Some of the most amazing things to see were the school fish. They really seem to be one whole entity, which can move in a super fluid way, divide and reunite when something approaches them.
The anemones have some of the prettiest colors
.. and their waving in the water is amazingly elegant.
All the plants and animals in the deepest oceans have the most beautiful colors. But everything is dark, in reality, down there, so no one is attracted or repelled by their brightness. They just are colorful, for no reason. This is an amazing wonder in my opinion.
One of the richest and most beautiful sections is that of jellyfishes. Their elegance of movements and transparency fills everybody with awe.


There were also some very small ones, which were so numerous that the whole pool of water seemed to be pulsing. Unfortunately I couldn't take a good picture of them. We also saw a 'Sun fish', which was huge, and seemed to be brought directly from the Mesozoic. Truly, seeing the life in the oceans really filled me with awe and admiration.

4 comments:

Namratha said...

Lovely pics Marta, love the ones of the Jelly Fish, can never take good ones of these in my cam....

Nora B. said...

That looks so beautiful! Love the jelly fish. When my nephew visited me in Sydney, his favorite section of the aquarium was the jelly fish tank. He was so mesmerised by their movements.

Simona Carini said...

Nice photos, Marta. I am glad you enjoyed the aquarium: I love it, in particular the jelly fish exhibit.

chemcookit said...

Thank you everyone! I agree - the jelly fish were some of the most amazing fish I saw in the aquarium.