Monday, January 07, 2008

Brunch del primo dell'anno

I realize it's a bit late, but I still wanted to share something really nice about the beginning of the new year. Our new year started in a very relaxed way. After a nice dinner with dear friends in San Francisco, Lucas and I went back home, because everyone else had different plans. We watched a (silly) movie together, and then cheered at the new year, with some champaign and a wine tart that I had prepared for the occasion (thanks, Mrs. W, for suggesting the recipe!). A very intimate and nice beginning of the year, which was followed by another very nice first of the year morning. In fact, I thought it would be nice to have some brunch, and the idea of making it together sounded much better than going out, and having to wait in line in a most likely busy place. So, I found a recipe for some cornmeal savory pancakes, which sounded delicious. And even in the recipe, it was suggested to serve them with a glass of sparkling wine. So, what could be best for a first of the year brunch? We really enjoyed it. Here is the recipe, which you may use for any other special brunch occasion... and happy new year again to everybody!!
Pancakes di granoturco con caprino e salsa ai peperoni / Cornmeal Pancakes with Chevre and Red Pepper Sauce
The recipe for this comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, 'San Francisco Flavors'.
Ingredients for four people (half the doses for an intimate brunch :)

1 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 1/4 c up buttermilk
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, cut
3 tbsp canola oil (we used a total of 1.5 tbsp butter)
2 red bell peppers (I used green ones)
1 cup creme fraiche (I used sour cream)
goat cheese (I used brie)
1 cup fresh corn kernels (I did not have this, so I didn't add it)
Procedure
To make the batter, mix cornmeal, baking soda and salt, then add egg, buttermilk, cilantro, 1 tbsp canola oil (or melted butter, like in our case). Let stand for five minutes, then cook on a pan like regular pancakes (spread a little bit of butter or canola oil to grease the pan, then pour a ladle of batter, cook for ~3 minutes, flip, cook on the other side for ~2 minutes and you're done). To make the sauce, chop 1 and 1/2 peppers, cook over low heat for 3 min, then add the creme fraiche, add some sault and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes. Place pancakes on serving plates and add a slice of cheese on them, bake at ~200F for a few minutes, just enough to melt the cheese. Decorate with slices of the rest of the peppers, parsley (or cilantro, like I did), corn (if you're using it), and serve with the pepper sauce and some fruit compote. Wine suggested: Blanc de Noir, sparkling.

These pancakes were delicious. I already mentioned a few of the modifications I did - those were because of lack of the ingredients requested, given the lack of planning. If I did this again, I'd cook the sauce for a shorter time - 10 minutes dried it up a bit too much. I served it with champaign and some of my homemade cranberry jam. We really enjoyed both making this and eating it!!

5 comments:

Namratha said...

That's a delicious brunch Marta, wishing u too a very happy and wonderful new year!! :)

Ilva said...

Hi! I just wanted to tell you that I have answered your email (again), if you didn't get this one either maybe you should check your spam box? I'm sorry if you never got my other two emails but I did answer you!

Amanda said...

I hope you liked it, Marta! It sounds like a perfectly lovely New Years celebration.

Nora B. said...

Hi Marta, sounds like your new year started out so wonderfully. These savoury pancakes look great! Cooking together is definitely more fun than the hustle and bustle of trying to get a seat for brunch at a cafe.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.