Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Rang de Basanti

I haven't posted about movies in a while.. and I didn't even dedicate a post to the two great directors who recently passed away (Bergman and Antonioni). Hopefully I'll have some time to post about some of their movies soon. Yet, now I want to post about another Bollywood movie suggested to me by Amit, and that Lucas and I recently watched: 'Rang de Basanti'
The story is very interesting: a young journalist from UK decides to make a documentary on Bhagat Singh and the other revolutionaries who fought for Indian independence from UK. She arrives and finds out that it's very hard to find the right actors for her documentary. Even the young people who seem to be the best are totally uninterested in the subject of the documentary. Mostly, they want to keep partying, getting drunk and drive around their bikes and trucks. Thus, the first part of the movie (1.5 h) is all dedicated to showing these aspects of their lives and the disappointment of the English director. Slowly, though, the young students get involved in the strength of the documentary. Moreover, at some point, something happens, that really changes their lives (I'm not going to say what because I don't want to spoil the movie). Suddenly the young silly students realize that they may actually do something more important for the world rather than just dancing around or thinking about their own career. The revolutionary words that they were saying when acting for the movie transform into reality, and they start a real 'revolutionary' movement, that inflames students in India. As for every revolutionary, though, their end is doomed..

I have opposing feelings about this movie, a little bit like for the other Bollywood movie I watched. I didn't like the first part very much. I found it boring when they kept showing the rides on the bikes and trucks that lasted for 5 minutes each, with a nice soundtrack behind. The second part, though, is extremely interesting and thought-provoking (apparently the movie really inspired protests and movements in India). The 'awakening' of a generation was very well portrayed. There were also very well-made hints about overcoming differences in religion. And the corruption of Indian parties was shown without soft words. The very final part, though, seemed unrealistic, although the speeches given by the students after their 'awakening' were very powerful.
So, overall, I was left with a good impression - it made me think about India, society in general, and my own life. I don't know if I feel like recommending it, though, because of the first long and honestly boring part (for me). I think it would be great if someone made a different cut of the movie and removed 2/3 of the first part. :)

7 comments:

Finla said...

I have that movie in DVD. I've not watched it till now. I like ti watch it together with my hubby and daughter but something or the other comes up and i haven't watched it till now. And it has been in the shelf from december.
Before september i will sure watch it.

jamboulasie said...

Ciao marta e` la prima volta che sono stata qui a questo sitio. Che carino! E` molto interesante e diversa la cultura italiana. Gli italiani sono vivace e` veramente hanno un'esistenza piu`formidable da noi in America. Grazie anche per il post da "Rang de Basanti" mi piace molto i film di bollywood. Avevo abitato in Trinidad&Tobago dove 40 per cento delle abitante sono indiani.
Sono sposata con un italiano da milano. Abbitamo in NY. A volte non lo so che vorrei preparato per la cena...
Grazie mille per le ricette !

Ciao...

chemcookit said...

Hello Happy Cook! Well, let me know what you think if you get to watch. We ended up watching it in two evenings.. we can never start early enough to have three hours in a row. :)

Ciao Jamboulasie! Che piacere sentirti! Grazie mille per essere passata di qui. Sono proprio contenta che il mio sito ti piaccia!! Fammi sapere se alla fine provi qualcuna delle ricette.. A presto!

Truffle said...

I actually have this on DVD too and haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I've heard mixed things but found your views really interesting. I think it's time I got around to a viewing!

Amit said...

Hi Marta,

Glad you got a chance to watch it. Many Bollywood movies are 2.5 hrs long and in India, there's a 10-15 minute interval/intermission so that people can take a break. :)

Also, people in India expect a long movie so that they get their money's worth. Movies less than 2 hrs are quite uncommon, though recently, there is a trend to make shorter movies.

The first half was important as it reflects the current generation and their apathy/ignorance towards/of India's history, and the college life also resonated with me as it was quite realistic. But I can understand that others may get bored.

What did you think of the music as compared to Dil Chahta Hai?

chemcookit said...

Dear Truffle - thanks for the comment! Let us know what you think, if you get around to watch the movie!

Amit - thanks for the comment. It was interesting to understand some of the reasons behind the length and the first part of the movie.
As for the music - I didn't notice any music I liked in particular in this movie, whereas I still can remember some from Dil Chahta Hai.. so I'd think that I liked Dil Chahta Hai's soundtrack better! How was it in India? What do you like?

Amit said...

Marta, I like them both. I'm not a big fan of techno music, but somehow, the music in Rang De Basanti resonated with me. But, if I have to pick one, it'll probably be Dil Chahta Hai. :)