Sunday, November 12, 2006

Barchette dolci alla frutta

I took the recipe for this nice dessert from cooker.net. Thanks Dani02!! It's not too difficult, but a bit tricky at the beginning, so I decided I would document this with pictures of the different phases. See below.

Ingredients (I cut on the butter):
2 eggwhites
1/2 cup flour
2.5 tbsp butter
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp powdered sugar
For the cream:
1.5 cups ricotta
2 squares bakers chocolate
1 tbsp milk
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp orange blossom water
To make the boats, beat the eggwhites, add the sugar. In another bowl mix the flour, the powdered sugar and the melted butter. Fold the eggwhite mixture in the flour mixture, gently. Spread this batter in thin round disks on a baking pan, about 2" diameter. Cook at 350 F for 5 minutes. Open the oven and remove the disks, one at a time, and gently 'squish' on top of small coffee cups (if you don't have these, use small glasses):
Hold for a few seconds so the disk takes the shape. Do this with all the disks. I prepared a total of nine disks, some bigger because I didn't have enough small cups. This folding operation must be done quickly otherwise the disks harden and they break instead of folding. I baked the disks in two separate moments so the disks in the oven wouldn't burn while I was folding the others.
Let them cool down on the cup. In the end that's how they should look like:
(you can see how some of them are bigger, those that I folded on the bottom of glasses).
To make the cream, melt the chocolate with the tablespoon of milk and the sugar, under low heat. Add this cream to the ricotta and the sugar, and add the orange blossom water. You can prepare both the cream and the boats the day before the dinner, but spoon the cream on the boats only before the dinner.
Cut pieces of fruit (I'd have liked the strawberries, as suggested in the orginal recipe, but they are not in season now, so I had bananas, oranges and apples) and place them nicely on top of the dessert. Serve with tufts of whipped cream.

1 comment:

nini said...

miam...jolis!!