Saturday, April 14, 2007

Weekend Cookbook Challenge n.15 - Spring / Easter food roundup!!!

I'm so excited! Many people sent me delicious recipes for this WCC and I'm really happy to write down a summary of all of them here on my blog! I feel very honored. :)
So, as you know, the theme was 'Easter/Springtime food', food for physical and spiritual rebirth. I'll post the recipes in the same order I received them, because it would be hard to choose otherwise.

The first post arrived from Bradley at Sauces and Stuff. It's his first time to participate to the WCC.. Welcome! He writes a recipe taken from
Chuck Williams 'Simple American Cooking', for Baked Chicken with Honey Lemon Glaze. He said raisins, honey and lemon remind him of spring. That's true! And the Chicken looks delicious :)

Another Springtime recipe comes from Julie at Veggie Chic: Sesame Asparagus from 'Vegan with a Vengeance'. Looks yummy!

Sara at I like to Cook, the mind behind the Weekend Cookbook Challenge, presented anothe Springtime recipe from Atco Blue Flame Kitchen Holiday Cookbook 2002, i.e. Pear and Onion Strudel. She gives us the recipe to try, but she warns us that she didn't like the one she made... Mmm.. if someone tries, let us know!

And here we start the list of Easter related recipes! Ulrike from Germany from Küchenlatein prepared Ginger choc chip cookies taken from the Good Food Magazine. Look at what a nice presentation she prepared for us.

Lis from the wonderful 'La mia Cucina' posted about Tyler McCheffy Florence's Rockin' Rice Pudding, after realizing that she didn't take any pictures of her Easter Rice and Ricotta pie. Her post is a must-read if you are feeling blue for some reason :) - and the rice pudding looks really good.. I hope she will share the Easter Rice and Ricotta Pie recipe with us sometime!

Breadchick from The Sour Dough proposes a Springtime recipe from the menu served on the Titanic! Which was appropriate also because the anniversary of the tragedy occurs right these days. She proposes the intriguing Asparagus Salad with Champagne Saffron Vinaigrette, taken from Last Dinner on the Titanic: Menus and Recipes from the Great Liner by Rick Archbold and Dana McCauley. Her post is very interesting to read also if you want to learn about the Titanic.

Young and talented Evelin from Bounteous bites presented this super nice recipe for the Easter theme: Saffron-hearted truffle eggs in white chocolate (from Maria Öhrn's Godis).. so cool!!!!

Melissa from Cooking Delights presents an Easter Lemon Merengue Pie that looks wonderful and delicious! I'm really impressed, I always heard merengue is the hardest thing to bake.

Haalo from Cook (almost) Anything at least once made a wonderful and I'm sure delicious Pandolce taken from Ursula Ferrigno's La Dolce Vita: Sweet things from the Italian Home Kitchen. I will definitely have to try to bake this. It has saffron in it!!!

Steph from A whisk and a spoon made a Lemon Yogurt Cake that is making me feel hungry just looking at it:

Back to the Spring theme, Brilynn from Jumbo Empanadas presents an intriguing recipe: Mango Wrapped Thai Shrimp, taken from Food and Wine magazine, Summer 2002. Such a wonderful idea!

Meeta from What's for Lunch, Honey? presented Spinach Salad with Goat Cheese and Avocado taken from a German cookbook called 'Lecker'. So colorful and fresh, she suggests to prepare a lot of it because it goes away really quickly!

At last, here is my contribution. This Easter, I tried a few Easter recipes tipycal of different regions of Italy (Crescia, Colomba, and so on - I will post the recipes soon). For this WCC, I decided to present my 'Torta Pasqualina', with eggs and a vegetable similar to spinach in it. I took the recipe from an Italian recipe exchange website, cooker.net.

Ok, that's it for this time! Lots of interesting ideas to try. I'm sure you can try all these recipes even if Easter is gone (Spring just began..) - and I'll keep a note of them for next year!
As for the next Weekend Cookbook Challenge, Sara at I like to cook will be the next host and the theme will be 'Something new'... Very intriguing! Lots of possibilities here. The deadline will be May 12.

9 comments:

breadchick said...

Wonderful round-up Marta! Thanks for hosting this event for Easter/Spring. It was a great time as always! I can't wait to try some of the other recipes!

Sara said...

Great job Marta! Thanks again for hosting, hope to see you next month.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

You collected some very interesting entries worth trying!
Great job.

ostwestwind said...

Thank you for hosting this event. There are interesting recipes I want to try. You did a great job!

Jul said...

Mmmm... lots of delicious-looking stuff there. Thanks for hosting!

chemcookit said...

Thank you guys! I already tried some of the other recipes.. delicious!!!

Lis said...

You did an excellent job hosting this month, Marta! Thank you so much for a great theme =))

Everything looks wonderful! I'm particularly interested in what you made.. going to go check that out right now!

xoxo

chemcookit said...

Hey Lis! Thanks, and let me know how it goes if you really try :)

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Marta a wonderful job with the roundup. I am a bit late here - sorry. So much inspiration here!