Sunday, April 22, 2007

Pane al formaggio

Here is another of the many breads I've been baking recently. This bread contains some cheddar cheese in the dough, which gives it a nice yellow warm color, and a very good taste. The dough is extremely interesting to make, because it doesn't require kneading: it's so soft that you can only mix it with a wooden spoon for a while, and then just let it raise. Honestly I think it's one of the best breads I baked in this period.

Pane al formaggio/Cheese bread
Ingredienti
4 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp dry yeast
1 cup milk, scalded
3 tbsp sugar (I put only 1 1/2)
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp butter, melted + some to glaze
1 cup tepid water
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
Preparazione
Add sugar, salt, melted butter to milk and let cool until warm. In the meanwhile put the water and the yeast in a bowl, let it rest. Then add the milk mixture, the cheese and the flour. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or with a wooden spoon for ~ 300 strokes (I tried this and I must admit I was done at 200.. it's quite tiring!!).
Cover the dough and let it raise for ~ 1 h. Then stir it down and beat it for 30 seconds. Put the dough in 2 glass oven proof pans, buttered (8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inchese, or ~20 by 10 cm). I actually used some round and oval ones that I had. Bake at 350 F for 30 to 40 minutes, then remove the loaves from the pans and brush some melted butter on their top. Let cool on wire racks.
The recipe is from my usual beloved 'Breads' book, from 'The good cook' series.

I put this bread as one of my entries for the next 'Waiter, that's something in my.. basket', which is going to be about bread!! After baking lots of breads, I decided this counts within the 'top three' of my recent production, together with : 'pane con zucchini' e 'pane integrale alle noci'.
The event is hosted by Spittoon extra, check out the link here.

No comments: