Monday, April 09, 2007

Buona Pasqua!!!

It's Easter!!!!!! Happy Easter to everyone!! This was a very nice weekend. I will post about it as soon as I can, but for now, I have to write first my post for the Weekend Cookbook Challenge that I'm hosting myself! Today in fact I invited some friends over for a 'merenda sinoira', which is an 'afternoon snack' that continues into a dinner, in Piemonte, in order to let our friends try some typical Italian Easter food.
So here is the food I made - you will see, eggs are the main ingredient. Eggs are the symbol of life and rebirth, and that's why they are so important in the Easter menus.

Crescia
It's an Easter savory bread typical of Naples, made with cheese and egg, eaten with cheese, ham and salame for Easter breakfast.
Torta Pasqualina
It's a savory Easter cake typical of Piemonte and Liguria. It's made with a layered dough, filled with a vegetable similar to spinach (I used spinach here), and it has cheese and whole eggs inside!
Uova pasquali
Eggs filled with mushroom and parseley

Carciofi con parmigiano
It's a typical way of eating artichokes, which are a typical Easter food.
Colomba
This is a typical Easter dessert, it's a bread similar to panettone, but it usually is shaped like a dove (that's what colomba means). I didn't have the colomba mold, so we had an oval dove :)

Ok, now that you have the menu, I'm going to write the posts in separate recipes. I decided that the best thing I made was the Torta pasqualina, so that's going to be the WCC entry!

No comments: