Sunday, April 01, 2007

Un altro tipo di pane: panini integrali al latte

As I said, I'm now determined to try many of the recipes from my 'bread' cookbook. I decided I will alternate and make some 'rich' bread followed by some 'simpler' bread. So last time it was the 'rich' bread, with zucchini. This time I wanted to try these small breads with milk, supposedly of Italian origin.

Panini integrali al latte / 'Homemade Italian Milk Bread'
Mix 1 1/2 cups milk with 1 1/2 cups warm water. Take a little bit of this mixture out, and dissolve 2 1/2 tsp yeast with a little sugar in it. Let bubble. Add 4 cups white flour and 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour, knead for at least 10 min adding salt, and more flour if necessary. Divide into 20 rolls or 2 big loaves and let them rise for at least 1 1/2 hours (as a matter of fact, I let the dough rise for 1 hour as a whole ball, and then I devided it in the 20 rolls and let them rise for another additional ~1.5 hours). Glaze with milk. Bake at 425 F. The recipes says 25-30 min for the rolls and 50 minutes for the loaves. I noticed they were done after ~20 min, and actually I had to pay attention because some of them were burning on the bottom. They're so tiny.. It's good if you have the baker's stone, it keeps the bottom from burning, otherwise you should put them a little bit higher in the oven than usual.
The result was a nice soft bread, but not the best bread I ever made. The crust was harder when I took it out of the oven, but it softened a lot after the bread cooled down, even though I was using a wire rack for the cooling. So, it's a bit 'spongy' to eat it by itself, although it's perfect to soak the olive oil in your plate after you have tomato salad, and it's nice to make tiny panini (sandwiches) with it.

2 comments:

alexale said...

Serena Pasqua!

chemcookit said...

Grazie mille!!! E anche a te, anche se in ritardo :)