Saturday, October 14, 2006

Visita dei genitori di Lucas

Last Sunday, Lucas's parents and sister came to visit us, as a late happy birthday to Lucas. So we had the pleasure to have them at our place for lunch.
I made a mixed Japanese-Italian lunch. I wanted them to try the Sushi, since I was almost sure they would never try it in a restaurant by themselves. :) I was very pleased by the fact that they liked it! Except for the fact that I remembered late that Lucas's mom is allergic to crab.. but anyway, most of the sushi I made was gone :) I also prepared the pesto-shrimp pasta that I already wrote about in a previous post, since I knew they liked both shrimp and pesto.. and in the end, a really good cake that I will show here.

Torta di papaya e cocco (Papaya-coconut cake)
This cake was inspired by the cake described by Fiordizucca here (NB it's in Italian). I modified the type of exotic fruit to use (instead of maracuja, papaya), and I modified a bit the doses of the rest of the ingredients, so here is my final version:
90 g grated dry coconut (~ 3/4 cup)
150 g sugar (3/4 cup)
75 g flour (2/3 cup)
4 eggs
300 ml milk (1 and 1/4 cup)
125 g butter (1 stick)
500 g papaya (1 pound)
1/2 lime juice
2 cubes baker's chocolate (70 gr) and a bit of milk to melt it + 2 tbsps sugar.
Mix the flour and the sugar and the coconut, then add slightly beaten eggs, melted butter, blended papaya, milk, lime juice. This is what I did, although I believe that even with these doses it was still too liquid. Next time I make it I will reduce the amount of milk. Pour the mixture in a baking pan and cook at 400F for one hour and 15 minutes, more or less (apparently in the original recipe it was said 45 minutes, but it was really too liquid..). To decorate and add a twist to the taste, I prepared a chocolate sauce with just melted chocolate and milk and sugar, and added on top, and served right away. It was very good. The taste of the coconut, the lime and the chocolate were very nice together, and it was moist and soft. The papaya gave a really nice color to the cake.

After lunch, we brought Lucas's parents to Raleigh farmers' market, to buy a large amount of apples that Lucas's mom wants to use to make some sauce (I believe). It was a very nice day (if we don't consider my boss's phone call at home on a Sunday afternoon!!!). I was so happy that all of them could come, and I really enjoyed their company. I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

No comments: