Sunday, May 03, 2009

Torta di fragole e mandorle

For the first time in a while, I'll be able to participate to a blog event that's not the one that I started myself (which I would feel too bad not to take part to :) ). This is an indication of the fact that I still don't feel too pressed to start looking for funding for my new position at McGill, even though I've been told by a few people that I should start spending all my waking time doing that. So, since I'm sure shortly I'll be completely overwhelmed again, I want to take advantage of this blessed period and do something not completely work-related all weekends!

Therefore, my dear readers, here is my entry for Meeta's Monthly Mingle event, this month centered on spring cakes.
I made this cake specifically thinking about her, who requested a spongy, fruity cake for this month. And, I love both strawberries and almond, so.. here it is:

Torta di fragole e mandorle / Strawberry-almond cake
The recipe for this cake is almost entirely the same as you can find on the beautiful blog 'Fior di zucca'. This blog is mostly in Italian, but Fior translated almost all the recipes also in English. It's beautiful, and I invite everybody to check it out. The main difference between my version and Fior's is that she uses also cinnamon, whereas I didn't (I'm not too much of a fan of it), and hers is sweeter than mine (this was due to the fact that I completely ran out of sugar when I made the cake :) -- however, I thought the cake turned out really fine as for sweetness).

So, to make my slight modified version of the cake, grind 1 cup of almonds, and add to it 1 cup of flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 2/3 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 eggs. Mix all in a food processor. Spread half of the mixture on an 8" baking pan. Don't worry if the mixture is very dense and quite hard to spread. It will work well. Wash and cut in halves or quarts ~1 lb strawberries, and place on top of the batter in the pan. Then cover with the rest of the batter, trying not to leave uncovered strawberries. Bake for ~40 minutes at 350 F, until golden, and let cool down. Decorate with powdered sugar and strawberries.
This cake is very nice. Don't overcook it (40 minutes are enough, imo), so that it stays moist. This is the perfect season for strawberries, so if you want a strawberry cake that's a bit unusual, with almonds and a nice layering, try this one!

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Delicious looking!

Cheers,

Rosa

Finla said...

I can imagine the taste with almonds and the strawberroes in them.
Looks beautiful.

chemcookit said...

Rosa and Happy Cook: thank you! It was indeed very nice.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

marta so good to see you at the mingle. as always i love your creations. hope you are doing well!

Simo & Dan - Looking for our Home said...

Marta, ho l'acquolina alla bocca... Almands and strawberries... yummie!