Sunday, December 02, 2007

Torta di mele e melograno

My Fresh Produce of the Month event this month is centered on apples. I chose it because the apple season is almost over and we need to celebrate this delicious fruit! So I'm going to try a few recipes to share during this month.. here is my first share:

Torta di mele e melograno / Apple and pomegranate cake
This is a variation on the healthy apple cake theme that I love. It's a cake with NO butter and not much flour and sugar in it. Both my aunt and my friend Franca have a version of it, and mine is a modification of theirs, with the addition of pomegranate, which was in season a few weeks ago when I made this cake.
Ingredients
5 apples (red delicious or garnett or any other type you like, not too tart)
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
kernels from one pomegranate
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 pinch salt
Preparation
Peel and dice the apples, and place them in a buttered and floured baking pan. Scatter the pomegranate kernels on top. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl. In another bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar, and add the milk. Add this liquid mixture to the flour mixture, mixing to avoid clumping. Pour this batter on the fruit in the pan. If you want, you can add small pieces of butter on top, but I didn't do it. Bake at 350 F for ~1 h. Before serving, I sprinkled a little cocoa powder and confectionery sugar on top.
I brought this cake to my friend Yusra's, and she served it with a delicious Turkish tea that she made.. So it's thanks to her that I can show such a pretty picture of the sliced cake :)
This was my contribution to a wonderful dinner that Yusra prepared for Lucas and me some time ago, which I will describe in a soon-to-come post.

7 comments:

elifleaf said...

Oh this looks so yummy Marta! My mouth is watering just looking at it. Great work!

bee said...

wow. i'm guessing all those apples make the cake really moist and yummy. i've bookmarked this.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A wonderful tart! I bet it tastes heavenly!

Cheers,

Rosa

Simona Carini said...

Nice recipe! I will try and participate in your event this month. I have a recipe in mind...

Mansi said...

wow Marta, that sure looks interesting! surely a unique combination that I've never tried before:) let's see if i can get something in time for your event!

KayKat said...

Ohh ... I love this! And I can't wait to participate in the next Fresh Produce of the Month.

La maga delle spezie said...

Che buona questa torta!
Ora mi segno la ricetta e appena ho un attimo provo a farla!
Ciao!