Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Buon compleanno, Meeta!

Meeta at What's for lunch, Honey? proposed 'Birthday Bang' for her 'Monthly mingle', since her birthday is coming up! So, I know I am a traditionalist, but if it's someone's birthday, I want to give them a cake! So this is a piece of cake for you, Meeta!

Torta al limone e uvetta con crema al whiskey! (Lemon and raisin cake with whiskey cream)
I got this recipe from cooker.net... grazie, Elisewin75! .
Ingredients
1/2 lb flour
1/2 lb sugar (I used less, about 1/4 lb probably)
2 sticks of butter (I used one)
1 cup raisin, soaked in brandy (I used whiskey)
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk (I used about 1.5 cups to compensate the missing liquid from the butter)
1 lemon
6 eggwhites, beaten till firm.
Procedure
Melt the butter. Grate the lemon peel and squeeze the lemon juice. In a bowl, mix the flour with baking powder and sugar, then add milk, butter, lemon juice and zest. Drain the raisin from the liquor you used and mix it to the batter. I actually added some of the whiskey in the cake too. Last, add the eggwhites. Bake at 350 F for 45 min. The author suggested to serve it with a cream prepared using the egg yolks.. and so I did: I added ~ 4 tbsp powdered sugar to the 6 egg yolks, then I poured all the whiskey from the raisin (~1/2 cup) in it, and added ~ 2 tbsp flour. I added the lemon pulp too, cut into big pieces (I hate throwing away things! So why not use also the pulp of that nice big lemon I had?). Then slowly I stirred in ~2 cups milk. I cooked on low heat for ~15 min, stirring every once in a while to prevent sticking and clumping. Then I served it cold with the cake. This cream, I must say, was _really_ delicious. The day after I had the cake for breakfast with my tea, and the cream with the strawberries for dinner............ So good!!!!

So, happy birthday Meeta! A hundred of these years and of wonderful food to try and friends to meet! The round-up has been posted.

Also, doesn't this lemon-containing recipe inspire you to participate to the 'Fresh produce of the month' event with lemon theme that I just launched? ;) :) Please send in your great lemon-centered recipes!

2 comments:

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Marta, I am so horoed that you are sending me a cake. I can tell this is going to be a scrumptious part. I really appreciate you coming to join me at the Birthday Bang.
Your new event soounds great too and I will go and think up of something lemony!!

Suganya said...

Hi Marta firt time to ur blog.....U have a lovely set of recipes.....Ur lemon cake is looking YUM!...