Sunday, September 16, 2007

Marmellata di fragole e uva

As I already said in the previous posts, there are two events centered on grapes this month, so I'm experimenting various recipes hoping I can get two that are good enough.
This jam I made a few weeks ago was really good, so I'm going to present this for the 'A fruit a month' event hosted by Swapna at Swad this month!
Here in California the season of strawberry lasts forever. During the whole summer we've had amazingly good strawberries for really cheap. So when the season of grapes arrived, it overlapped with the strawberries! That's why I decided to try to make this jam.

Marmellata di fragole e uva rossa / Strawberry and red grapes preserve
It was really easy: just clean and cut ~2 lb ripe strawberries, place them in a pan and add ~4-6 tbsp sugar and ~1 lb red seedless grapes. Squeeze the juice of one lime in it. Cook for ~ 1h, covered. You don't need to add any water. After one hour, blend everything with an immersion blender. Cook for another ~30 min, uncovered, or until it gets to a nice spreadable consistency. It's absolutely delicious.
In the picture above, it's served on a spelt/tapioca bread that I baked with a recipe that I made up (I can post it if someone is interested, it was a really good bread). But it goes wonderfully well also with pancakes, such as in the example below:
I'll give you the complimentary recipe of the pancakes, as they were particularly good. It's taken from one of the books I like the best, 'San Francisco Flavors', by the Junior League of San Francisco.

Pancakes con mele e ricotta / Fuji Apple and Ricotta Pancakes
Combine 1 cup ricotta, 2 Fuji apples, grated, 3/4 cup flour, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp chopped almonds, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, 4 egg yolks, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate (I used fresh lemonade). On a side, beat 4 egg whites till stiff, and then fold them in the previous mixture. Melt a little bit of butter on a pan, pour ~1/4 cup of mixture when the pan is hot, and cook until the pancake becomes dry near edges and bubbles form all over the surface. Flip and cook for another minute or so. Do so for all the mixture, and serve the pancakes hot, with maple syrup or preserve such as the delicious strawberry-grapes described above!!

I hope I'll have time to make another good grape-centered recipe for my own event 'Fresh Produce of the Month'.. there's still some time before the deadline (Oct. 15th) - so if you also have cravings for grapes this month, please share your delicious ideas with us!

3 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

An interesting jam! Great idea! Those pancakes must be delicious!

bha said...

nice grape jam....with the pancakes must have been divine

Sona - quick picks/pick quicks said...

the spread luks real yummmm